Employers or labor organizations may not increase the compensation offered an officer or employee with the intention that such compensation would be used for political purposes. Likewise no employer or labor organization may discriminate against an officer or employee for failure to support or oppose a candidate, ballot proposition, political party, or political committee.
Each employer or other person or entity who withholds or otherwise diverts a portion of a Washington resident's wages or salary, or that of a non-resident whose primary place of work is in the State of Washington for political purposes is required to have on file the written authorization of the individual subject to the payroll withholding or diversion. A sample withholding authorization form follows this section. The withholding authorization may be revoked at anytime by the employee, and, at least annually, an employee from whom wages or salary are withheld shall be notified of the provisions relating to voluntary payroll deductions. RCW 42.17A.495.
All forms used to authorize political contribution withholdings must include, but need not be limited to, the following information:
- The name of the individual authorizing the withholding or diversion;
- The name of the individual's employer;
- The name, city and state of each political committee for which contributions are to be withheld;
- If more than one political committee is specified, the total dollar amount per pay period (or per week, month or year) to be withheld for each;
- The date on which the authorized withholdings or diversions are to be effective;
- A statement that reads: "No employer or labor organization may discriminate against an officer or employee in the terms or conditions of employment for (a) the failure to contribute to, (b) the failure in any way to support or oppose, or (c) in any way supporting or opposing a candidate, ballot proposition, political party, or political committee;"
- The individual's signature; and
- The date on which the form was completed.
Sample contribution withholding authorization: