Posted on
March 01, 2021

When you start a new campaign as a candidate you may have surplus funds from a past election that you'd like to use for the new campaign.

If you're a candidate running for reelection to the same office, you may use funds from the previous election for your next election.

If you file using ORCA, enter the funds from the previous race into the new campaign by clicking on File at the top, then Committee Information. On the Committee Information screen, click on Carry Forward Cash from the options on the left. Click the green plus sign in the Carry Forward Cash window. A window will pop up to enter the carry forward cash. You may need enlarge the window to be able to type in the amount.

If a candidate wants to use contributions from a previous race for a different office, there are some extra steps. Contact the last donor who donated to the old campaign and get their written permission (via email or snail mail) to use their contribution for a different office. Keep their written permission with your campaign ledger.

Contact the next most recent donor, and the next, until you have permission from enough donors to equal the amount of the carryover funds that you want to use for your new campaign. If you can't get written permission from a donor, don't use that contribution for the new election campaign. Use it in one of the other ways you may legally use surplus funds.